Tuesday, August 02, 2011

sHe LoVeS tHe PlEaSuRe WaVeS!

I was feeling real good and was in the mood for a little hang time with my gals, so I headed out to Beck's Lounge (my fav spot). As I strolled leisurely along Torres Avenue, someone bellowed, "Yo, Vonny"! I turned and........Christ, I haven't seen this guy in months!

"Steeeeeve!" I screamed as we both ran to hug each other. We were still busy forming 'long lost love' when a car horn blarred, forcing us off the middle of the road. Never mind the driver's cursing, I hadnt seen Steve in a while and we had a lot to catch up on. With my initial date temporarily forgotten, Steve and I headed to d closest eatery.

I was still filling Steve in on 'wat's new' when my three phones started buzzing all at once. With profuse apologies, I placated my gals and then agreed to meet up with Steve again in two hours.

I got to Beck's Lounge and found my friends sulking. I apologized again and soon enough, we were 'sniffing' up some smirnuff with nkwobi while updating each other on other people's relationships- you know the girl gossip thingy now.

Two hours flew by quickly and my pals made faces when I told them I had to leave. As I waked off, one of them yelled, "Na man dey make you run leave us shey". I chuckled and thought, "how true that is". As I got into a cab, I began reminiscing on my first meeting with Steve.....





......."Not again. Aaarrrrgghhh!". My computer has been blanking out on me repeatedly in the past few days, causing me to lose some of my work each time. "That's it! I'm going to get my lappy fixed right now", I yelled to my secretary as I walked past her desk. I wanted to run this errand myself because its the perfect excuse to see my gal-buddy, Rebecca, and drag her to lunch with me.

Now Rebecca owns Becca ICT Inc. (she hates being called becky), so of course, my laptop will be fixed with no charge.

As I climbed up the stairs, a guy darted from a corner and ran into me, causing me to drop my laptop. He apologised profusely but it was of no use, my laptop was gone! Becca was out in seconds, apologizing and offering to get me another. We still got to talk a bit but couldnt have lunch. The incident made Becca feel really bad.

I was over at Lagoon restaurant the next day, waiting for my brother so we could have our once-a-month dinner when I spotted the guy from yesterday, strolling in. I bowed my head hoping if wouldnt see me but......

"Hello there. We didnt get properly acquinted yest. Do you mind if I join you till your guest arrives?" He didnt wait for a reply and note, he didnt say anything about my laptop.

My initial thought was to throw him off but I changed my mind and he turned out to be a lot of fun. After an hour, it was more than apparent that my brother had stood me up, so we just went on enjoying the evening..........





.....I strode towards the eatery, barely able to contain my excitement and then stopped short at the door and stared. Steve was already sitted inside, waiting for me. By now you may have guessed that Steve and I are a little more than friends but that's it! We have never been able to move past there- which is nowhere.

Barely two months after the incident with my laptop, Steve left Becca's to start his own company. I was ecstatic! We got along great but Steve was so into his company that there was no room for 'us' to exist. Some three months after he started his company, I got called out of Lagos for two months to voice a 3D animated movie, so we became lost in our separate worlds.

Looking at him through the glass door now, I felt it wrong to walk in there and more or less, start all over again. Steve is the best but he is married to his work. He is the kind of guy you might have to date(alongside his job) for six years before he marries you, only to play second fiddle to his job.

The thought of it all caused me to be overwhelmed with sadness. I slowly let go of the door handle I had been holding and walked away. Away from the eatery, from the love and hurt, from the pain and pleasure. Away from Steve!


No comments:

Post a Comment