Tuesday, August 02, 2011

I Met Him!

Image result for friend zonedI dropped my pen. "I am tired....and hungry." The thought propelled me out of my chair as it occurred to me that I had skipped breakfast. I needed to be in the office as early as possible because I had so many scripts to write. "Phew! Today's gonna be a real long day", I mumbled as I walked out of my establishment.

I've done quite well for myself. It's just been two years since P.O.P. and I already own a boutique and a bead-making salon. I am one of Nigeria's hottest radio presenters and a recognised script writer for advertising agencies. I am happy, content, fulfilled and comfortable.

I nodded at the doorman as he saluted. My driver moved forward to enquire where I wanted to go but I waved him off. I had decided to take a stroll to the nearest KFC. My secretary had given me a weird look when I had told her I was going to get lunch. That's part of her job but I needed to get out, you know, get some air.
I walked into the eatery confidently with my head held high and as expected, a lot of people turned to stare but that doesnt bother....... Christ! "Whose eyes are those?" At that point I had an idea of how Jesus must have felt when He asked who touched him. I stopped and turned to look. At that point, he got up and seemed to be walking towards me. I was still staring when it occurred to me that he WAS, as a matter of fact, walking towards me. "Walk", I commanded my legs but my usual confident gait had a wobble to it this time. I cursed under my breath and pinched myself. He was still following me, I could feel it. Against my good reasoning, I glanced back and he had this mocking twinkle in his eyes. Damn! I looked around and noticed the interested glints in their eyes. "Why is the walk to the counter this long?" Finally, I got there and gracefully started ordering my lunch. He got behind me and said, "hello". I swallowed spit as I turned to reply, but for the life of me, I couldn't but stare.......... 



"Ma'am, your order is ready", the cashier said with disgust in her voice. I turned and slapped some money in her palm while giving her an icy stare. She must have gotten the message because she muttered an apology. I made to get my tray when he said, "I'll carry that for you if you dont mind". It wasnt a question so I walked off to my favorite spot without a word.

I knew the media would have a field day, as they had been trying to dig up dirt on me but I didnt care. I had been working since morning and this was my reward!

He placed my tray before me with a slight frown. He sat opposite from me and said, "my name is Malcolm Onikoyi and I own Mckoy Autos". Aha! He seemed a little familiar but it didnt click until now.

Meet Malcolm, the most introvertish celebrity. A billionaire and the most-sort-after bachelor. You could never catch him attending an elite party or any other one for that matter. He owns Mckoy Foundation and Medical Centre where men with postrate cancer are given the best care in the country. You would expect someone like that to be in his mid-forties but the guy just turned 30yrs old last month. Such achievements! He is so.....

"Are you listening to me?"
"No. Pardon me. What were you saying?" He stared at me in disbelief but got over it quickly and then repeated himself, "from where I was sitting, I saw you walking up here and wondered if you would like to buy a car, so you wouldnt have to walk around; or another car, if your bored with the current one you have."

I paused to look at him and before I could open my mouth, he pushed a complimentary card into my palm and walked off.

"I should have sent my secretary! It's part of her job."






No comments:

Post a Comment