Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Yet another talent

Usually, when I see them, I walk past without a second glance or even giving them any thought. They aren't just the kind of people I think about not because I am snobbish (okay, maybe I am a little bit snobbish but that's not the point) but because they don't just cross my mind.

Today, I have come in contact with them , not as I pass by but at a public school. I had to come visit here as part of my pet project. The school's walls are unplastered but that's understandable anyway because the buildings aren't even finished yet. As I entered a class, I noticed mats instead of chairs and a  portion of the unplastered wall has been painted black to, of course, serve as a blackboard.

I looked around at the children and a wave of sadness washed over me. Most of them are malnourished and dressed in clothes that I wouldn't even use to clean my floors back home. There's this little one- about 6years of age if I am a good guess- who kept smiling at me. I walked toward her and bent to talk with her. She seemed very bright. She spoke quite well considering...........

She had a plea in her eyes that I understood, so I gave her some money and she quietly walked off to get herself the unhealthy snack the vendor sells. As I watched her leave, I noticed that she had nice carriage. She brought her snack, sat by me and sang as she ate. She had such a lovely voice! Ha! who is going to discover this beaut voice in Atiegbo hamlet of Akieghio community of Abiakwe Local Government of Amachiri State?! The truth? Absolutely nobody!

As I got up to check other classes, a sharp pain tore through my heart. I shook my head and sighed, "yet another talent......."

3 comments:

  1. First i'll love to welcome you to the inky world of bloggers. Follow other bloggers and you'll be followed! Your piece is just as i expected, SPLENDID! Painted the exact picture you intended. About the "talent"...but you discovered her. What stops others,with even more resources to make an impact, from discovering her too?!....just saying. Check me out. I live here... www.foluskoni.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where you trying to protect the state? #JustAsking

    ReplyDelete